So, after oodles of posts, I just take a break and look back to find an imbalance in the number of Sweet is to Savoury posts. You know where the incline is. :) So, I needed to come to terms with it and strike that balance, before my waistline reveals it.
And so, back to the salads....I love my salads by the way..... and the reason is the variety it has to offer + the bonus of low calorie + taste unlimited+ flavor+ light= HEALTHY! Here is a Chicken Pina Colada Salad. You see now, to make a fitness diet sound less monotonous and more attractive and drool worthy, all you have to do is try and grab some salad whose name makes you salivate to begin with, rest of the work out goes smoothly, once you are energetic with the right diet. I don't believe in "starve and deprive yourself from those yummies" kind of diet. My mantra is "Eat the right stuff, in the healthiest form", and with a positive mindset and a happy tummy, with those proteins in place, one is less stressful and more determined to achieve the next milestone.
"Pina colada" is a cocktail drink made with pineapple and coconut where Pina in Spanish means "Pineapple" and colada means "pressed". Well this salad is derived from this beautiful combination of coconut and pineapple, along side crispy coconut flake coated chicken tenders, that go well with a zesty-zingy-spicy pina colada dip. After trying my hands on a couple of variations, I settled for this one. Call it Salad or a meal... I must say..... a must try!
- For the chicken marinate:
- Boneless chicken breast(cut into fingers)- 450 gms
- Chicken tikka masala powder/ paprika powder- 1 tbs (or as per taste)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste (less if tikka masala powder is salted)
- For chicken coating:
- All purpose flour- 1 cup
- Eggs Beaten- 2 large
- Desiccated coconut- 1cup
- For the Dip:
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Coconut milk powder- 6-7 tbsp (more if too runny)
- Pine apple chopped- 1/4 cup (Pureed)
- Lemon juice- 2-tbsp
- Rind of one lemon
- Red chilly flakes- 2 pinchs (as per taste)
- To assermble:
- Spinach leaves lightly blanched- 10-12
- Pine apple chunks- 2 cups
- Lemon- 1/2 -1, cut into roundrels or wedges
- Tomato roundels- 2 big
- 1Marinate the chicken tenders, with ingredients mentioned in "For the chicken marinate". Keep aside.
- 2Make Preparation for the chicken coating. Beat the eggs a bowl. Spread the flour in a plate. In another plate spread desiccated coconut. Preheat the oven. Lightly grease a baking tray, keep aside.
- 3Dredge the chicken tenders in flour, followed by egg and desiccated coconut. Arrange the coated chicken fingers on the baking tray. Bake at 190 degree C, for 12 mins or until the chicken is cooked through and coconut turns a light golden shade.
- 4To make the Pina colada, dressing/ dip- In a bowl, first add the coconut milk powder and little warm water and stir to a thick paste. Add the rest of the warm water and stir. Add the pineapple puree, lemon juice, rind and red chilly flakes. Stir the mixture onto a saucepan and heat it on medium flame, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Take off heat once a thick dip like consistency achieved. (check and season with salt if needed). Keep aside.
- 5To assemble- Line the serving dish with blanched spinach leaves. Arrange tomato and lemon, roundels alongside Pineapple chunks and coconut flake chicken fingers. Drizzle some Pina colada dressing and keep some as dip. Enjoy!!