Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.-Charles M. Schulz
I try to keep processed food(junk food) at a distance when it comes to eating at home, only the unavoidable ones make it through. I would rather make the same at home than opt for store bought, specially for my sons lunch box. However, recently after being inspired by his cartoon characters, my son demanded I pick that peanut butter jar at the local Supermarket . Now for a picky eater like him, this demand couldn't be ignored, let aside the drama that would arise at the supermarket if I did otherwise, and so I picked a leading brand peanut butter jar only to have him say it's not very tasty is it mumma?back at home....... and back to square one. Now I'm quite not sure if peanut butter actually qualifies to be in the junk food list, darrrnnn its soo yummm, and before my taste buds get glued to it and I loose my fitness goals I had to do something to have him munching on it instead, perhaps on a better version. Ball's on my court, and searching for a suitable recipe to fit the plot, I come across this one on tasteof home.com posted by a Elaine Medeiros for her grand daughter.
Moist chocolate cake topped with peanut butter- cream cheese swirls and even richer with crushed walnuts over it.
Look at those Peanut butter- cream cheese blobs!
A nice swirl and you have a pretty good pattern there. Top it up with crushed walnuts and good to go into the oven.
That lovely crust is a feast for the eyes and taste buds.
Lovely crumb and texture. Yaaay and Im loving it and so does He!!
Glad everyone loved it and it was gone in no time... :)
- For the chocolate Cake:
- Sugar- 1 1/2 cup
- Water- 1 1/2 cups
- Canola oil- 1/2 cup
- White vinegar- 4 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla extract- 2 tsp
- All purpose flour- 2 1/4 cups
- Baking cocoa- 1/3 cup
- Baking soda- 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- For the peanut butter batter:
- Cream cheese- 120 gms
- Peanut butter- 1/4 cup
- Sugar- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp seperately
- Salt- 1/8 tsp
- Semi sweet chocolate chips-1/2 cup
- Chopped walnuts- 1/2 cup.
- 1In a mixing bowl, beat sugar, water, oil, vinegar and vanilla
- 2In another bowl sift together, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Gradually beat it into oil mixture. Pour into a greased pan.
- 3In another bowl beat the peanut butter, cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, egg and salt. fold in the choco chips.
- 4Preheat oven. Drop table spoon full over the chocolate cake mixture. With the help of a knife cut through the peanut mixture to make swirl patterns. Sprinkle crushed walnut on top.
- 5Bake at 180 degree C, for 30-35 mins or untill, a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.Cool completely before slicing.