Here is a recipe which takes butter cookies to another level, melt in the mouth and full of flavour, which will leave you asking for more. The orange zesty flavour stands good on it's own and then comes the coconut glaze over it giving texture, which...actually compliments it with a twist along with the cream cheese binding them together with soft notes all the way. The orange zest just stole the show, by playing the flavour and candy role in the cheesy buttery cookie. I tried this recipe from Laurel's blog and in love with it. Just made a tiny change by adding more orange zest and a little yellow color. Now you know why I am a zest lover!!
That's the cookie dough all set, with my Tbsp ready to scoop.
Yumminess all the way!!
- Granulated sugar- 3/4 cup
- Zest of 2 oranges( save a pinch for the glaze)
- All purpose flour- 2 1/2 cup
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Unsalted butter- 1 cup, cut into cubes.
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Cream Cheese- 2 tbsp , at room temperature.
- Orange color gel- 2 (optional)
- For the glaze:
- Cream cheese- 1 tbsp, at room temperature
- Fresh orange juice- 2 tbsp
- confectioners sugar- 1 cup approx
- Orange zest- a pinch
- For topping:
- Dessicated Coconut- 1/2 cup
- 1In a bowl add the orange zest and sugar and rub them with your fingers till the sugar is fragnant. Add the flour and salt and mix.
- 2Add the butter cubes and combine till the mixture appears crumbly. Add vanilla and 2 tbsp of cream cheese and 2 drops of orange color gel.
- 3Knead the dough lightly till it comes together. With help of a tablespoon, scoop out the dough, roll it into a ball between your palms and place it on your baking tray lined with baking sheet, about 1" apart and press down slightly with the heel of your hand.
- 4Bake in a preheated oven for around 14-18 mins or until the sides of the cookie begin to turn light brown. Allow to cool for few minutes before removing the cookies from pan and allowing them to cool completely.
- 5Once the cookies have cooled down completely, take 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut in a saucer and keep aside.
- 6To make glaze: Combine together and whip. the cream cheese, orange juice, zest and confectioners sugar until a glue like consistency achieved.
- 7Dip the top of the cookie onto the glaze, allowing access to drip off. Then dip onto the desiccated coconut and place in the baking tray until the glaze drys off completely. enjoy!!