To keep up with my latest fitness routine, here is one dish that screams the same and I'm glad to start a hopefully healthy eating and blogging new year with it. Having juggled with cornflakes mornings, buttermilk drinks and lean protien snacking from past few months, (and feeling good already), this dish sums up what healthy diet actually should look like. This Cornflakes coated chicken is anytime a healthy alternative to KFC/ broost style, and other deep fried chicken options. No, I am not saying Goodbye to deep fried chicken, but hey! say hello to Cornflakes Chicken which hardly has any oil, as it is Baked! plus the crisp intact. Try it and I bet you will agree, it is here to stay and give the deep fries a back seat. Apart from being on a weight loss diet plan(be it in the form of drumsticks or steak) it is also a good option as party starters and picnic snack etc. With easily available ingredients and more easy to shove into a preheated oven, set on bake mode and forget it for 45 mins just to receive a crispy showstopper. Bliss!! It's definitely a winner in terms of efforts put in, compared to the amount of deep frying you need to go through with guests around. This time as it bakes you could just catch up with them instead!
Here is a quick take on how to go about it. This dish consists of four main components which sequentially coat the chicken.
a. Spicy marinade mix.
b. Flour mix, which consists of Cornflour and all purpose flour.
c. Buttermilk mix
c. Crushed cornflakes and spices mix.
Here is a coated and ready to go into the oven pic.
If buttermilk is not available you could always make some at home. Check the notes for method.
In the oven under process.
Nicely done crispy Cornflakes Chicken out of the oven. You can make an only drumsticks version, or boneless one or a mixed version, suits all types in terms of taste and texture. (I used drumsticks and chicken chunks mixed)
Ready to serve.
- Cornflakes- 3 1/2 cups
- Paprika- 2 tsp
- Tikka masala powder-2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Grated garlic- 1 tsp
- Grated Lemon rind- 1 tsp
- Chicken drumsticks or mixed chicken pieces- 8-10
- All Purpose flour- 3/4 cup
- Cornflour- 1 1/2 tbsp
- Butter milk- 180 ml *Check notes on how to make Buttermilk.
- Olive oil as required
- 1In a mixing bowl add the paprika powder, tikka masala powder, salt and ginger-garlic paste. Mix well. Add the chicken drumsticks to this and allow it to marinate for about 20 mins.
- 2Mix the All purpose flour, pinch of salt along with Cornflour. Keep aside in a plate.
- 3Crush the Cornflakes coarsely with a rolling pin or with your hands. Add paparika, pepper, salt, garlic and lemon rind. Mix well and keep aside in a plate.
- 4Take butter milk in a bowl.* Check notes- how to make butter milk at home.
- 5Line a baking tray with greased foil. Preheat the oven.
- 6Roll the drumsticks on the flour mix. Coat well. Dip into the buttermilk, then roll in the cornflakes mix until coated well. Place on the greased foil one by one.
- 7Drizzle few drops of olive oil on each drumstick and bake for 45 mins or until cooked, golden brown and crispy. Serve hot with lemon wedges. Enjoy a healthy treat.
- Notes:- How to make Buttermilk
- 1You will need-
Lemon juice/ vinegar- 1 tbsp
Take milk in a bowl at room temperature. Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar. Stir and let it sit for 5-10 mins. After 10 mins you will see the milk texture has thickened and curdles bits of milk floating. Buttermilk is ready and works well in any recipe that calls for the same.