I love lentils and even more love playing with variety in their recipes, from rich creaminess to subtle flavors you have them all. And when it comes to fitness, I would give them a big thumbs up. And off late when I'm on a fitness regime, exhausted from workout and have to make choices before picking the right thing to nibble on..... this is it!! Easy to cook and easier to eat and guilt level- NIL Talking of ease, this recipe gets its name, probably because of it's ease level, as it can be made quickly, ideal as a street food, or Dhaba stop.
Lentils are a powerhouse of nutrition. They are a good source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin and vitamin K, but are particularly rich in dietary fiber, lean protein, folate and iron. Some types of dals are healthier when compared to other dals. For example, the black gram dal and moong dal are considered healthy as well as nutritious for their amazing properties.
Here are some health properties of Black Gram
(Udad Dal) (Pic:Split Udad dal) Black Gram1. Urad dal (Black gram) - is one of the richest sources of proteins and Vitamin B. It is also good for women as it has iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, potassium which makes it a healthy pulse.
2. Urad dal benefits the health as it is good for the heart. Consuming urad dal helps to reduce cholesterol and improves cardiovascular health.
3. It is rich in iron content. This helps boost the energy levels in the body and keeps you active.
4. Urad dal is considered as a natural aphrodisiac as it treats sexual dysfunction. Soak urad dal in water for 5-6 hours and then fry it in ghee. Have this pulse to have a healthy sex life.
5. Urad dal also has various beauty benefits. Applying urad dal face packs is good for the skin as it prevents the formation of fine lines. Moreover, black gram also helps get a fair and flawless skin.
6. Having urad dal helps increase hair growth as well. You can either have it in your diet or apply a hair mask made with urad dal.
So having learnt the super- power qualities this special lentil has, its time we incorporate it more often in our diet.
This recipe is quite simple. Literally has three main steps.
1. Boil the Split black gram with the mentioned spices, till tender.
2. Heat butter and temper with cumin seeds followed by onions, green chillies and ginger, fry till brown. Add the boiled Black gram.
3. Add the garam masala, tomatoes and lemon juice, stir , add ginger garlic pastes. Mix well. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to boil. Add a tbsp of butter and stir until absorbed. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis. enjoy!!
- Split Black Gram( Urad Dal)- 1 cup
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder- 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For the tempering:
- Unsalted butter-1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds-2 tsp
- Onions chopped- 1 cup
- Green chillies halved- 4-5
- Ginger chopped- 1 tbsp
- Garam masala- 2 tsp
- Tomatoes chopped- 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice- 1/4 cup
- Butter-1/4 cup(to add in the end)
- Ginger paste- 1 tsp
- Garlic paste- 1 tsp
- 1Wash and clean the split black gram and boil it in water adding turmeric powder, red chilly powder, and salt. Cook until tender. Keep aside.
- 2In a wok, heat butter, add cumin and saute until they crackle. Add the onions, green chillies and ginger. Fry until brown in color. Add the boiled black gram. Saute well for 5 mins.
- 3Now add the garam masala, tomatoes, and lemon juice. Stir well and add the ginger and garlic pastes. Mix well and cook till tomatoes mushy. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to boil. Add 1/4 cup butter and stir until completely incorporated. Dhaba dal ready, serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves along with rotis.