After Baked Flan, taking a popular status in my household, I recently came across this recipe, and the use of Guava instantly got me stirring it up. Was excited even more to learn that this breath of fresh air, has been around for a while, as a popular Mexican Dessert. It's a mixture of cheesecake and flan plus Guava flavor as a bonus, dripping with Caramel.That makes a list of my favorites, only to sum it up as it's ingredients. Not to forget, like always I love incorporating fruits and veggies into sweet and savoury. Now that's a tick on the qualify slot. (Not that I have one) The distinct guava flavor from blending it to the aroma that engulfed my kitchen while baking was spot on satisfying by itself. The texture unlike the basic Baked flan is a little firm with thick texture from the guava puree.
Guava puree is available frozen I learn,(haven't checked for it in U.A.E though) but if unavailable, fresh fruit is ideal. (which I would prefer personally). I Cut them in quarters and blended to a puree along with the evaporated milk followed by the straining process which I found quite tedious, so I would suggest scaping off the seeds before blending. Then add up the cream cheese, eggs and condensed milk, blend once again and pour out onto Baking tin previously coated with caramalised sugar syrup. Bake for 1 and 1/2 hour and there you go....
Adapted from Sweetcannela
- For the Caramel:
- Sugar- 200 gms
- Water- 50 ml
- For the Flan:
- Condensed milk- 1 can (397gms)
- Evaporated milk- 1 cup
- Cream cheese- 190 gms
- Ripe Guava- 10
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- For the Caramel:
- 1In a pan take the sugar and water. Keep on medium heat and stir till slightly dissolved. Heat for about 15 mins or till sugar completely dissolves and color turns to a golden brown. Pour very carefully( as the caramel is piping hot at this stage) into baking tray(20 cm round tin or 24 cm square tin) Allow it to cool for 30-40 mins. It will harden and start cracking, which is just fine :)
- For the Flan
- 1Cut the Guavas into quarters and scrap off the seeds. Blend the guavas along with evaporated milk. Now add the condensed milk, egg, vanilla essence and cream cheese and blend further until well combined and smooth. (this mix tastes yumm)
- 2Pour the mixture onto the cooled and hardened Caramel. Preheat oven.
- 3Now we need to prepare a water bath. Place the baking tin into a bigger baking pan. Pour water into the bigger baking pan until it reaches a little more than half of the side of the baking tin. Bake for 1 hour and 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 4Once done, remove the baking tin from the shallow baking pan bath. Allow to cool completely. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- 5To un mould, run a knife on the sides of the tin. Invert the flan onto a dish and allow the caramel to flow over and around the flan. enjoy!!