This dish is coming from a wannabe French in me. Bread and cheese often taken as synonymous with the french cuisine is my any day choice. Well this dish has nothing to do with bread but yeah grated cheese topping and not to forget the french connection.
Lobster thermidor is a french dish of seasoned creamy lobster meat and egg yolk mix, sitting beautifully in a lobster shell under a blanket of cheese. This was the first time I actually made lobster at home, initially I didn't know where to start from but thanks to this video on how to split a Lobster in half, I could pull it off in a breeze... From cutting, cleaning scooping.... to the cooking.......... gave myself a pat in the back, pretty good huh! for a first timer. Apt for the season! that out door barbeque grill! next time maybe.
Indoor or outdoors, in the oven or on that barbeque grill, its a hit alike I bet.
Here is the pic of the initial monster.
Just clicked this half way through split...
And... beauty on the plate!!
- Lobster- 1 weighing approx 500 gms
- Mushroom- 100 gms
- Garlic- 4-5 cloves
- Onion- 1
- Fresh cream- 50 ml
- Egg yolk- 1
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
- Thyme- 1 tsp
- Nutmeg- a pinch
- Parmesan cheese grated- 20 gms
- Black pepper- 2 tsp(more or less as per taste)
- Butter 1 1/2 tbsp
- Stir fry or grilled veggies on side
- Capsicum-1 diced
- Shallots- 10 halved
- Butter- 1 tsp
- Oyester sauce- 1 tsp (optional)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lemon cut into wedges
- 1Split the lobster into two parts, and clean the head thoroughly under running water. Scoop the flesh from inside and thoroughly clean flesh with a pinch of turmeric. Wash with a pinch of turmeric and save the shell to fill the flesh in and finish the dish in the oven later.
- 2Preheat oven and bake the empty shells for 10 mins, (this step is optional just to avoid any uncooked meat inside)
- 3Dice the Lobster flesh. In a pan add 1 1/2 tbsp butter. Saute the garlic followed by onions and mushroom. After the mushroom has slightly dried out add in the lobster meat followed by a tbsp lemon juice.
- 4In a bowl add the remaining lemon juice, egg yolk, cream and grated nutmeg. Mix well. Add this mixture to the Lobster pan. Keep stirring, add in the thyme.
- 5Stir the mixture till it begins to turn thick, take off heat. Fill the cleaned empty shells of the lobster with this creamy mixture
- 6Sprinkle generous amount of Parmesan cheese on top. Finish in a medium hot oven for 10 minutes or until cooked.
- 7In a pan add butter, and stir fry the shallots and capsicum add a dash of Oyester sauce and sprinkle seasoning as per taste. Serve alongside the Lobster in shell along with lemon wedges. Enjoy!