Thai Pomelo Salad, haven't heard of it? Neither did I, until I sat looking for a Salad recipe for the luscious Pomelo I had Picked up earlier that day. This recipe courtesy "rasamalaysia.com" was my first try and must say its here to stay. Learnt a lot here, about this Salad, from being known as "Yom Som-O" (yom rhymes with "some") to why this salad like most Thai salads should be consumed immediately as tossed, since the flavor is at its peak right then and gradually declines as it sits there. I religiously followed the instructions and the result was rewarding. Just loved the burst of flavors. The Pomelo segments escalate freshness to a new level, so make sure of the quantity of serving you want, because refrigerating this salad or reheating it is a bad idea. Have I burst your interest with too many instructions? Not a tough nut to crack, with all preps done, rest all goes smooth... Peanuts. Yes did I say Peanuts are in too? With varied texture, from juicy Pomelo, soft Prawns and crunchy peanuts this salad is one to grab. Just matter of tossing in everything right before serving. Lets get started!
- Pomelo- 1 Peeled and seperated into segments.
- Prawns- 20-25 Peeled, deveined and washed with pinch of turmeric powder.
- Desiccated Coconut- 3/4 cup
- Coconut milk- 1/2 cup (I used 1/2 cup warm water +3tbsp Coconut milk powder)
- Red chilly flakes- 1 tsp
- Onion chopped- 4 tbsp
- Finely minced Garlic- 2 tbsp
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Plain roasted Peanuts- 1/2 cup (roughly chopped)
- Fresh lime juice to taste.
- Fish sauce to taste.
- Coriander/ cilantro leaves- handful.
- Preps to do:-
- 1In a saucepan, heat oil, add chopped onion, red chilly flakes and chopped garlic. Saute till onions soft. Add coconut milk to this stir, simmer, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 2In a pan, roast the desiccated coconut, till light brown color. Be careful not to leave it unattended, as it burns easily. Remove from heat set aside to cool.
- 3Poach the Shrimps- In a vessel, boil sufficient water, add the prawns with a pinch of turmeric and 1/2 tsp salt (I used this water to make my coconut milk). Let it simmer till prawns cooked. Don't over cook the prawns. just about 6-8 mins. Strain the prawns allow to cool.
- 4Now that all the preps done. Keep the below elements ready(seperately) to toss just before serving.
a. In the mixing bowl, put the pomelo segments, prawns, coriander leaves, Peanuts.
b. Roasted desiccated coconut.
c. Coconut milk-onion-garlic-chilly sauce.
d. Lime juice and fish sauce.
- 5Direction- Toss in the mixing bowl the above mentioned elements and serve.